As a construction worker, you are part of a team of skilled professional craft workers, and accident prevention is part of your job. It takes everyone’s effort to keep a jobsite safe. There are many things you can do to help prevent accidents.
Try your best to follow these guidelines, and all of us will have a safer place to work.
- Wear proper clothing and sturdy footwear; jewelry, watches and rings must be left at home.
- Come to work fully rested
- Use the correct personal protective equipment when the task requires it, and keep this safety gear in good condition and replace it as necessary.
- Damaged or lost equipment should be reported to your supervisor.
- Keep your work area clean and neat. Don’t let your housekeeping get out of hand
- Follow the warnings written on labels.
- Observe signs, regulations and procedures; ask your supervisor about any you don’t understand.
- Never bypass safety valves or devices.
- Follow lock out – tag out practices where required to do so.
- Check your electrical tools prior to use.
- Whenever possible plug into electrical outlets that are protected with GFCI’S.
- Do not use tools with split, broken, or loose handles.
- Shut off engines and let them cool down prior to refueling; and never smoke around flammables.
- Remove protruding nails or bend them over.
- Wipe up spills of oil, water, or grease.
- Keep walkways, aisles, traffic lanes and fire exits clear of debris and other materials.
- When working in new areas of the jobsite, take a few minutes to look around to locate obvious hazards.
- Don’t leave any floor openings unprotected. Cover floor holes securely or guard with standard guardrails.Â
- Make sure you have the right type and size of ladder. Climb it facing the rungs and be sure your hands are free to hold onto the ladder.Â
- Watch out for overhead power lines.
- Store flammable liquids in approved containers.
- Report any accidents to your supervisor. If you get injured, get proper first aid and seek medical assistance if necessary.
- Keep your mind on your work.
- Drugs and alcohol don’t have a place on the job.
- Horseplay and practical jokes cause accidents, so keep them off the job. Practice accident prevention.